Life: Unhealthy Eating

I have been living on my own for a week now and my diet is already a disaster, I have been living off oven pizzas, crisps, McDonalds and takeaways and I am seriously feeling the effects. I never realised how important a healthy diet actually was until now.

When I was at Leeds festival I noticed my friend who was constantly eating fruit was always full of energy and the rest of us surviving off chips and crisps spent the days slumped on chairs around the camp, only having the energy to get up and go when we were intoxicated. However I just ignored it, I thought I was at a festival getting little sleep due to the hard ground I was on. This week, though, I have realised it was also down to what I was eating and drinking. At the festival I drank hardly any water and drank alcohol instead, I survived off the overpriced chips on the stalls and bags of crisps from my tent. During freshers week I have also drank a lot of alcohol and little water and my diet is at an all time low. I'm seeing and feeling the results of that.

In terms of visual effects, my skin is awful. My face became very red, bumpy and dry, it was almost like a rash. No amount of moisturiser could save it and the surface feels horrible. I have broke out in spots on my face, chest and back and I feel disgusting. Even my ears are dry and sore. I haven't drank alcohol since this has happened and I've been getting a lot of sleep however the only difference it has made is that my skin is no longer red, it still looks and feels spotty, dry and uneven. Next week I'm going to have to do a lot of cooking to fix my diet.

I have also massively been lacking in energy, even with 10-12 hours sleep a night. I put my lightheadedness down to period symptoms however I don't think that is the case. Even with a full nights sleep I lack energy and almost feel like I ma going to collapse after being awake for only 6 hours, I now realise this is because of the lack of nutrients and vitamins in my body. This isn't the first time this had happened to me, being an incredibly fussy easter makes having a balanced diet quite difficult but my mum always managed to cook me meals with enough nutritional value to keep me going. Now I'm living alone I have to try and do that for myself otherwise this will only get worse and I actually will collapse next time I'm in a reasonably warm room.

The point of this post is, don't die during university, look after yourself! Drink water, treat yourself to a lie in, cook yourself a decent meal every so often. You don't have to go teetotal and live off salads but don't rely on alcohol and your takeaway at the end of the night out for survival.

Comments