Life: Festival Essentials

For my first festival, Leeds 2014, I wish I read blogs about what you need to take to a festival because I definitely didn't pack right, but for Leeds 2015 I knew exactly what I needed from experience and now I'm going to share what I think are the essentials for a typical UK festival.

Of course you're going to need your ticket, and probably money for food, drinks and possibly merchandise and market stalls but what else can you not go to a festival without?

First of all, don't try take a suitcase, get a large rucksack and don't be that person who tries to pull wheels through a muddy field. If you don't want it on your back, pull it on a sledge however I would say just put the straps over your shoulders like a normal person, it's not like you have far to walk with it anyway.

Obviously, you need a tent, it would be stupid to go without and staying in a hotel or bnb just isn't in the festival spirit. I would recommend buying a tent for more people than you have. For example if you want your own text get a two man, for two people get a three man and three people get a four man. I wouldn't recommend sharing a tent with more than two others because it'll get incredibly hot, messy and muddy which is not ideal. 
Although pop-up tents are cheap and easy I would say it's worth investing the money and time into a double layered tent with poles. These tents tend to be higher and more roomy which means it won't be as hot and stuffy, it seems cold at night times but you warm up fast and often wake up sweating. The double layers mean that while you're sitting inside, you can touch the sides without the water leaking through. Last year I took a two man pop up tent for myself and during the nights it rained and I ended up with damp clothes from the water seeping though. If you do get a pop up tent though, make sure you don't let anything touch the sides, even if its just your bag. 

Again, it seems obvious, but a sleeping bag is also a necessity, as well as a roll mat which a lot of people don't feel is needed. I've seen people try make it work by laying on the tent floor in a sleeping bag or even just their clothes and I couldn't imagine anything worse. After standing up and keeping active all day, in the cold night you're going to want somewhere mildly comfortable and warm to sleep. I understand a lot of people aren't in a state of mind by this time to even know where they are but I can imagine waking up in your own sleeping bag is a lot nice than being on the floor somewhere. 
Wether to take a pillow is a debate I find I have with myself, but I have decided that if you have room you should take one, if not you can always use a pile of clothes. The same goes for a blanket, if you have space in your bag then it's always nice to have a blanket to sit round the fire with but if not, don't worry because you can always unzip your sleeping bag and use it as a duvet.

You'll want to see as many acts as you can and explore the festival but you need time to sit around camp and have a drink or 10, and for that you need a camp chair. Don't think it'll be fine to sit on the floor, it won't be. It may seem okay for the first hour you get there but it'll soon be littered in cans, crisp packets and piss (you will of course tidy your litter before you leave) and if it rains you have no chance, the ground will turn into a mud bath and nobody wants to sit in that. Although there is a high chance of it getting nicked (keep it in your tent when you're not using it to prevent this and to keep it dry) you still want to take one.

You'll need substances, of course. What's a festival without intoxination? It's certainty not a true British festival without a load of late teens to early twenties completley out of their mind. Of course you want to enjoy and appreciate the artists as that is the main reason you're there, but at the same time you're in a field and everything is a lot more fun if you're not sober. In terms of alcohol, beers, wines and ciders are too heavy to carry and use up a lot of space in your bag. I recommend taking a spirit of your choice. I personally take vodka, a water bottle and the tiny juice bottles, you fill the bottle with water at the taps, and add some juice and vodka. It's not the nicest and you do get sick of it but it's the cheapest and lightest way of doing it. 
Food is also needed but although it's expensive, you buy hot food when you're there because after sleeping and living in a field you need some real food to bring you back to reality sometimes. I would take a range of crisps and biscuits to eat around your camp, everyone will most likely be sharing anyway.

Although you definitely shouldn't view the whole festival through a lens, and I'm all about living in the moment, theres no harm in capturing some of the best moments of your life on 35mm film, or even just on your phone camera. I personally wouldn't be on my phone during a festival recording everything I see but I love taking photos and would like some to remember the festival by. I would take a camera (nothing of too much value) and a cheap phone I wouldn't mind losing, so I can capture images and keep in contact with the people I'm with, without having contact with the outside world. When you're at a festival you forget the real world exists and it's truly an amazing feeling living in this carefree bubble filled with amazing people who love the music you do, don't ruin it by constantly checking Instagram and making sure your feed is still on point, you'll have plenty of time to do that when you're back and sad and don't quite know what to do with yourself anymore. If you are going to take a phone, take a portable phone charger because your phone charge will never last the whole time you're there.

Wellies at a British festival are essential, they're not always needed but at some point it will inevitably rain because thats just what England does, and because of this you will also need some sort of waterproof. Unless of course you like being wet, cold and uncomfortable all day. Don't invest in anything too fancy, just something that does the job. I got some twenty quid wellies from the local outdoors shops and they've been great the past 2 years. I'd reccomend getting knee high socks to go with them if you're going to wear shorts otherwise the edges rub against your legs as you walk and it hurts like hell after 5 days of it. Primark also do waterproofs for about £10 which is pretty decent but I haven't worn mine in the rain yet so I can't say how effective it is. The other clothes you take will depend on the festival you're going to and the weather you're going to have, but usually (for girls anyway) shorts/skirts/dresses/playsuits are safe to wear. I wouldn't reccomend wearing jeans because if it's sunny you'll get too hot and if its raining they'll stick to your legs and make you uncomfortable for hours. Take a few different tops, clean underwear for every day and lots of pairs of socks. As well as your jacket i'd also advise taking a hoodie for later at night because it can get pretty cold. Don't forget pyjamas too, I usually take some leggings for it its cold and shorts for if I get too hot as well as t shirts and a hoodie.
I am personally a massive fan of the bum bag because they're just so convenient, so I like to take one to keep a phone and some money in when walking around the festival.

Realistically, you're not going to shower and you don't really need to either. Nobody notices or cares about your smell because you get used to it over the days, as disgusting as it is. This, however, is not an excuse to give up on sanitation completely. Take baby wipes, makeup wipes (only if you wear makeup of course), dry shampoo, a hairbrush, deodorant, body spray, hand sanitiser and a toothbrush and toothpaste. I also take a mirror but often regret it because looking at myself after days without washing isn't the prettiest sight. It's always fun to take UV paint and body glitter as well as jewelry to decorate yourself with and if you're over 18 remember to take your ID to buy alcohol.  Don't underestimate the British sun, take suncream and sunglasses or a cap and take a bin liner for all your rubbish and your own toilet roll because you can never be guaranteed it. 

I have rambled on a lot but here is everything I think you need in a simple list, if you can't be bothered to read it in paragraphs.

  • ticket
  • money
  • tent
  • roll mat
  • sleeping bag
  • pillow
  • blanket
  • chair
  • bum bag
  • phone
  • camera
  • ID
  • alcohol
  • water bottle
  • snacks
  • baby wipes
  • makeup wipes
  • deodorant
  • dry shampoo
  • body spray/perfume
  • toothbrush and toothpaste
  • mirror
  • hairbrush
  • hair bobbles/clips
  • face/uv paint/body glitter
  • jewellery
  • sunglasses/cap
  • suncream
  • portable phone charger
  • bin liners
  • toilet roll
  • waterproof jacket
  • wellies
  • hoodie
  • underwear and outfits for however many days you're there
  • socks (lots)
  • pyjamas

Comments